This tour starts in Palermo, the capital of Sicily. In the morning we visit the Zisa Palace, English name from Arabic al-azîz (the splendid), built by William I, the imposing Teatro Massimo, the third largest opera house in Europe with a neoclassical style, it was the film set for some scenes of The Godfather – Part III by Francis Ford Coppola, then we get lost in the stalls at the Market Vucciria, where we can taste the famous street food of Palermo, like panelle, cannoli and so on. After lunch we stop in Piazza Pretoria to admire the Pretoria Fountain, better known as Fountain of Shame, due to the nudity of its statues, which animate the whole structure. Last stop to the two churches that overlook Piazza Bellini: San Cataldo and S. Mary of the Admiral, also called Martorana. It is planned to return to the chosen accommodation to rest and in the evening dinner in a restaurant of your choice.
On the second day we begin with a visit to the Norman Palace, built in the 9th century, the oldest royal residence in Europe, which houses on the first floor the famous Palatine Chapel with its majestic Byzantine mosaics. We visit the cathedral and its royal tombs and then we go to the Market Ballarò. In the afternoon relax on the wonderful beach in Mondello.
The third day we visit the Marine Protected Area Capo Gallo – Isola delle Femmine, where surprising discoveries were made on what was, in the past, the coastline near Palermo. After lunch we go to the Archaeological Park of Segesta, to admire wonderful examples of Doric temples. In the evening we visit a winery with a tasting of wines and typical products.
On the last day we leave Palermo towards Monreale to visit its beautiful cathedral, which since 2015 is in the list of the UNESCO World Heritage sites. Inside and outside this church many styles from different eras and territories coexist. We leave to visit the Cathedral of Cefalù, also UNESCO World Heritage, erected in 1131 by order of Roger II, after he survived a storm with all his crew. Both inside and outside the project of Roger II was quite different and much more impressive. We will have lunch and in the afternoon we enjoy some rest on the wonderful beach of Cefalù.
In the evening you return to Palermo or continue with another tour.
Discovering the beauties of the Sicilian capital to understand how the Arab and the Occidental cultures merge between the streets of the city. A must is to taste the delicious street food to embrace all the flavours and traditions of this meeting of cultures. We take a step into the past a few kilometres from Palermo and wine tasting in a winery.
Leaving Palermo we will head east where we will visit to cult buildings, both UNESCO World Heritage sites.
Don’t be alarmed! We will also take some time to enjoy the well-deserved rest on the coasts of this wonderful island.
● 9:30 We meet in the centre of Palermo
● 10:00 Visit of the Zisa Palace
● 11:30 Visit of the Teatro Massimo
● 12:30 Arrive at the Market Vucciria and lunch
● 14:40 Piazza della Pretoria
● 15:20 Visit of San Cataldo and S. Mary of the Admiral churches
● 17:00 Check-in and rest
● 21:00 Dinner
● 9:00 Norman Palace and Palatine Chapel
● 10:45 Visit of the cathedral
● 12:00 Arrive at Market Ballarò and lunch
● 14:00 Departure for Mondello and relax on the beach
● 18:30 Back to Palermo
● 20:30 Dinner
● 8:30 Departure from Palermo
● 9:30 Arrive at the Marine Protected Area Capo Gallo
● 12:30 Lunch
● 14:30 Departure for Segesta
● 15:30 Visit of the Archaeological Park of Segesta
● 18:00 Tasting in a winery
● 22:00 Back to Palermo
● 8:30 Departure from Palermo
● 9:15 Arrive in Monreale and visit of the Cathedral
● 10:00 Departure for Cefalù
● 11:30 Visit of the Cathedral and of the town
● 13:30 Lunch
● 15:00 Relax on the beach
● 19:00 Back to Palermo or you continue with another tour