We realise that we have arrived in Trapani, seeing the typical shape of the peninsula where the city rises. The city derives its name from the Greek Drepanon which means, precisely, sickle.
In thw morning we visit the Nature Reserve Saline di Trapani e Paceco, entrusted to WWF Italy, to watch how this business, today as in past centuries, is one of the sources of livelihood for this area. If you have brought a pair of binoculars with you, you will also have the chance to birdwatch. We return to Trapani and visit some shops for the processing of coral, material that makes Trapani famous all over the world, thanks to a craft school of ancient tradition. We have lunch at Villa Margherita, a wonderful city park with samples of tropical plants from all over the world, where we relax a bit. In the afternoon we walk through the symbols of the past of Trapani: the Colombaia Castle, which was built to protect the city, it was as a lookout tower for pirates or enemies, the Ligny Tower, a 17th-century watchtower housing an archaeological museum with numerous discoveries, coming from the waters in front and from the whole Mediterranean basin, and the Castello di Terra, a ruined 12th-century castle now incorporated in the adjacent municipal buildings. Dinner is reserved in a traditional restaurant.
The morning of the second day we take the ferry to Levanzo, we visit the “Grotta del Genovese” with Neolithic cave paintings and Palaeolithic graffitoes, which will give us an idea of what the world was in that historical epoch. Afterwards, we take the ferry to Favignana, and we spend the afternoon lying on the wonderful beach of this island. We will go back to Trapani for dinner.
The third day, after breakfast, we go to Marsala, where we stop first at the Archaeological Park of Lilibeo, where we admire finds dated the second and first centuries BC up to AD, the reproduction of a Punic ship and the Insula Romana to make comments on the various stages of the history of modern Marsala. After the lunch break we visit the Bastione Velasco, you can still see its prospectus where the soldiers were placed to shoot repaired. Then we go to the Monument of the Thousands, to commemorate the landing of thousand lead by Garibaldi in Marsala, historical fact that made this city famous worldwide. In the late afternoon we go to a vineyard for a tasting of typical food and wines.
The day 4, after breakfast, we go to Erice, where we visit the Venus Castle, dating from the Norman period, built on the top of the Roman Temple of Venus Ericina, the Spanish neighbourhood, it is an incomplete work that had to host the Spanish soldiers in the XVIIIth century, today it’s a museum of ancient arts and crafts, the Balio Castle of the Middle Age, and the Porta Carmine and the Cyclopean walls, which document the Phoenician-Punic past of the village. In the afternoon we arrive in San Vito lo Capo and we check-in in the chosen accommodation.
The day after we head for the Nature Reserveof Monte Cofano, where we visit the Grotta Perciata and the Cyclope Cave, Cala Buguto where we stop to have a bath in this stretch of coastline lapped by crystal-clear waters, the Mangiapane Cave, a small group of rural houses remained unchanged over time. We have lunch with typical food and we go back to San Vito lo Capo. In the afternoon we rest on a beach.
The tour will end here, where the participants are free to choose whether head back to the starting place or carry on with another tour.
A tour rich in prehistoric, Phoenician-Punic, Roman, up to the present day history.
We go in the crystalline blue between the Tyrrhenian Sea and the Channel of Sicily to visit the wonderful islands in front of Trapani.
Boat and walking tour to discover a group of rural houses, where time never seems to have passed.
We taste typical food with wine produced in the area directly in the vineyard.
● 9:00 Departure from Trapani
● 9:30 Visit of the Nature Reserve Saline di Trapani e Paceco
● 11:45 Back to Trapani, visit of the shops for the processing of coral
● 13:30 Relax and lunch at Villa Margherita
● 15:30 Visit of the Colombaia Castle
● 16:15 Visit of the Ligny Tower
● 18:00 Stop in front of the Castello di Terra
● 19:00 Back to the chosen accommodation
● 21:00 Dinner
● 9:10 Departure from the Port of Trapani
● 10:00 Arrive on Levanzo
● 10:30 Visit of the Grotta del Genovese
● 13:00 Arrive on Favignana
● 13:30 Lunch
● 15:00 Visit of the wonderful island and relax on the beach
● 19:30 Back to Trapani
● 9:00 Departure from Trapani
● 10:00 Arrive in Marsala, visit at the Archaeological Park of Lilibeo
● 12:30 Lunch break and walk in the city
● 15:00 Bastione Velasco
● 16:30 Monument of the Thousands
● 19:00 Tasting in a vineyard
● 22:00 Back to Trapani
● 9:30 We leave Trapani
● 10:00 Arrive in Erice and visit of the Venus Castle
● 11:30 Visit at the Spanish Quarter
● 12:30 Lunch break
● 15:00 Visit of the Balio Castle
● 16:00 Cyclopean walls
● 17:00 Departure for San Vito lo Capo
● 18:00 Check-in in the chosen accommodation
● 20:00 Dinner
● 9:00 Departure from San Vito lo Capo
● 10:00 Arrive in Nature Reserve of Monte Cofano
● 11:30 Visit of the Caves and bath in a cove
● 12:30 Lunch break
● 13:30 Back to San Vito lo Capo
● 15:00 Relax on the beach
● 19:00 Aperitif